Chyla has been in the field of education for 13 years and began her career as a sixth grade English Language Arts and AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) teacher. While teaching, she served as a teacher leader, both within her school community and throughout the district. Within her roles as the AVID coordinator for her school and as a professional development coordinator within her district, she loved collaborating with her fellow colleagues and witnessing student growth in her classroom, as well as other classrooms throughout her learning community.
Her love for teaching and desire to make a greater impact influenced her decision to become an administrator. She has served as an assistant principal, principal and instructional coach in urban and suburban school districts.
Chyla truly found her niche when she became an instructional coach at the network and district level. She has supported administrative teams, coaches, teacher leaders, and special education administrators to grow within the area of instructional leadership. As an instructional support manager in a large urban district, she learned just how important it is for every educator at each level within an organization to be provided the opportunity to engage in meaningful and on-going thought-partnerships. One of her ultimate goals is to help other adult learners grow in their insights and abilities to provide better experiences for children within public education.
- Served as middle school English Language Arts teacher
- Served as middle school AVID teacher and coordinator
- Served as assistant principal and principal for grades PreK-8th
- Served as an instructional support manager for lead learners supporting students in grades PreK-12th and for special education administrators
- Led the creation, implementation and revision of district-wide English Language Arts curriculum maps
- Created and implemented math lab sites to enhance collaboration across schools
- Created and led network and district-wide professional learning opportunities for teachers, coaches and administrators
- Served as the AP Summer Institute Curriculum Developer (and teacher) for high school students enrolled in AP English courses
- Served as an AVID National Staff Developer
Education and Certifications
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Bachelor of Arts in English and Secondary Education
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Master of Education in Educational Organization and Leadership
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, began doctoral coursework in Educational Organization and Leadership
- Type 75 Administrative Certification
- Type-9, 6-12 Teaching Certification
- T-TESS Certified