Dr. Martinez, an English language learner and economically disadvantaged student, was the first of her family to graduate from college and prides herself on being a bilingual life-long learner. She believes that education helped her change her stars. She possesses an unyielding and relentless commitment to pay it forward and strives to help others achieve their goals through education.
In 1980, Dr. Martinez graduated from a gifted and talented magnet high school in her native Puerto Rico. In 1986, she began her educational career at Arizona State University as a Spanish instructor. Her professional experience includes over 30 years as an educator at the university and high school levels in the U.S. and abroad, as well as school board member and community volunteer. For the last 13 years, Dr. Martinez has served students in the roles of assistant principal and principal in economically disadvantaged and minority-serving public and private urban, suburban, and rural high schools. As principal of three different high schools, she successfully led turnaround and school improvement efforts, resulting in high levels of academic success for all students. While at West Oso High School in Corpus Christi, Dr. Martinez led turnaround efforts resulting in achieving successful accountability ratings within two years. While at Sunset High School in Dallas, she implemented a culture of high expectations and data-driven instruction, which resulted from zero, to four, to six academic distinctions in a three-year tenure.
Dr. Martinez’ most notable achievements and training include:
- Arizona State University Interchange Study Program at the University of Guadalajara, Mexico (1986)
- Rotary International Foundation Goodwill Scholarship-one year of graduate studies in Argentina (1989)
- Patriotic Service and Outstanding Civilian Service medals (1993-2003)
- President’s Volunteer Service Award–Bronze level (2003)
- Harvard University Principal Leadership Institute (2013 and 2017) sponsored by Raise Your Hand Texas
- Association of Latino Administrators and Superintendents Academy (2014-2015)
- Teaching Trust Executive Ed Leadership Team Program (2015-2016)
- University of Virginia School Improvement Program (2016-2017)
- Cognitive Coaching Training (2016-2017)
Dr. Martinez has earned, with academic distinctions: an Associate of Arts in Bilingual Secretary (1980), Bachelor of Arts in Spanish (1986), Master of Arts in Hispanic Literature (1993), Master of Education in Administration and Supervision (2001), and Doctor of Philosophy in Adult and Post-Secondary Education (2011). She holds Texas professional educator certifications for Superintendent, Principal, Spanish, and English as a Second Language. Dr. Martinez has been married for thirty years and is the proud parent of two adult children and two granddaughters.
Key e2L Projects
- Fort Worth Administrators and Teachers Training and Coaching
- El Paso Administrators and Teachers Training and Coaching
- Corpus Christi ISD – South Park MS – Teachers Training and Coaching
Past Professional Experience
- Principal – Highlands High School, Sunset High School, West Oso High School
- Assistant Principal – Cotulla High School, Antonian College Preparatory High School; St. Anthony Catholic High School; Incarnate Word High School
- Instructor and Faculty Adjunct – Various Colleges and Universities in the U.S. and abroad
- Installation Volunteer Coordinator and Parish Council Volunteer Coordinator
- Department of Defense Dependents Schools – School Board President and Member
- Army Family Team Building Program – Facilitator, Core and Master Trainer for the Department of Defense