Melissa Carriaga is an e2L coach, trainer, and facilitator with over 13 years of experience in public school education. Melissa believes in equity of access in education by ensuring teachers are appropriately equipped and supported to differentiate instruction and provide personalized learning experiences for all students.
Melissa’s first professional education experience was in a one-way dual language classroom in Grand Prairie ISD. Melissa then served as a two-way dual language teacher in Garland ISD. Her teaching experience spanned grade levels kinder-third. She then took a position as a Mathematics Instructional Design Facilitator where she developed curriculum that is 100% aligned to state standards, supported teachers with lesson planning, lesson design and delivery, while focusing on best practices to increase engagement and academic achievement.
Melissa also served as Coordinator for Elementary Programs for the Department of English Language Learners in Garland ISD, where English Learner students make up 44.5% of the elementary student population. In this role she initiated and ensured sustainability of implementation of One-Way Dual Language Spanish, One-Way Dual Language Vietnamese, and Content-Based ESL programs at 49 elementary schools.
Melissa holds a Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing with a minor in Psychology from St. Mary’s University and a Master of Education in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies from the University of Texas at Arlington.
- Initiated and ensured sustainability of implementation in the change from transitional bilingual program to One-Way Dual Language program at 49 elementary schools
- Initiated and sustained the implementation of Content-Based ESL program for 49 elementary schools
- Developed, coordinated, and designed the Dual Language Vietnamese program for Garland ISD, the only Vietnamese Dual Language program in North Texas
- Lead the implementation and sustainability of Sheltered Instruction at the elementary level to increase student performance and positively impact state accountability
- Successfully completed all requirements as set forth by the Be GLAD Advisory Council to earn all the rights and privileges to be a PreK GLAD Certified Agency Trainer. As a Certified Agency Trainer, she may provide the U.S. Department of Education’s Academic Excellence professional development model to provide support in academic language and literacy, standards-based instruction, differentiation, collaborative learning, project-based learning, integrated-blended learning, and strategies that promote equity in classrooms.
- Served as campus Language Proficiency Assessment Committee chair in Garland ISD
- Designed and created Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten English Learner curriculum for summer programs focusing on language acquisition.
- Developed, edited and revised K-5 mathematics curriculum achieving 100% alignment and rigor to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills
- Created K-5 Gifted and Talented curriculum lessons for district implementation
- Presenter at EL Con (2021), Lead Con (2021), La Cosecha (2019), Imagine Learning Partnership Forum (2018), Paraprofessional Conference (2015)
- Elementary Coordinator, Department of English Language Learners – Garland ISD
- Elementary Math Instructional Design Facilitator – Garland ISD
- Two-Way Dual Language Teacher, Kinder, 1st, 3rd grade – Garland ISD
- One-Way Dual Language Teacher, 2nd grade – Grand Prairie ISD
Education & Certifications
B.B.A Marketing, minor in Psychology, St. Mary’s University
M. Ed Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, UT Arlington
Special Education, EC-4
Pre-K GLAD Certified Agency Trainer
Google for Education Certified Teacher