Shannon K. Buerk
Founder & CEO, engage2learn
Shannon Buerk has emerged as an industry thought leader of organizational culture, helping educators to utilize the tools of performance-based professional coaching and intentional design to elevate the performance of public school districts nationwide. Passionate about equity of the learner experience, Shannon believes that neighborhood schools are the heart of a free, thriving society, and she is committed to ensuring that they are the first choice for all families. With 28 years of K-12 experience, Shannon has led a thriving organization since 2011 that has partnered with 225 school districts–impacting 2.3 million public education students to date. In 2022, Shannon also wrote and published her first book, Connect the Dots: Utilize Education Intelligence to Accelerate Growth, Retain Talent, and Optimize Outcomes.
The recipient of local, national, and international awards, including…
Female Executive of the Year
Most Innovative Women in Education for Technology
Female Executive of the Year
Texas Small Business Award
Connect the Dots
Utilize Education Intelligence to Accelerate Growth, Retain Talent, and Optimize Outcomes
By: Shannon K. Buerk
Award-winning founder & CEO of engage2learn
“Today, more than ever, neighborhood public schools are the heartbeat of thriving communities. Leaders who collaborate, clarify, and coach will be the architects of future-proof public school systems.”
- Shannon K. Buerk
What Shannon has to say!
Shannon’s Thought Leadership Articles
3 Questions to Help You Spend Your District's ESSER Funds
September 22, 2023
To help you make the most of your ESSER funds in your district, e2L CEO Shannon Buerk poses 3 guiding questions to explore.
2021-2022 Talent Development Report: A Message from Shannon K. Buerk
January 20, 2023
The 2021-2022 Talent Development Report is here! Read a message from e2L Founder & CEO Shannon K. Buerk before downloading the report for yourself.
What is Smart Professional Learning?
June 27, 2022
With smart professional learning, we can finally stop the churn of PD and begin the journey towards intentional, sustainable teacher support.
How Coaching on Competencies Reduces Teacher Burnout
May 06, 2022
e2L Founder & CEO Shannon K. Buerk explores how coaching on competencies reduces teacher burnout, increases teacher retention, & improves student outcomes.
Cultivating Equitable Support for Teachers & Students
April 25, 2022
e2L Founder & CEO Shannon Buerk chats all things teacher support with Shawnee Caruthers on the Getting Smart Podcast. Tune in now!
5 Components of Effective Virtual 1:1 Meetings
April 01, 2022
e2L CEO Shannon Buerk shares 5 key components of effective virtual 1:1 meetings – the backbone of our organization's productivity.
3 Misconceptions About Instructional Coaching
March 11, 2022
In order to redesign instructional coaching to become individualized, “smart” support, we have to first debunk the misconceptions.
Mitigating Disrupted Learning: It's About Time
January 21, 2021
If we want to overcome disrupted learning, it is imperative that we maximize efficiency for every student at every level.
3 Things Every Teacher Needs Right Now | engage2learn
September 07, 2020
Under normal circumstances being a teacher is hard, but in the face of a global pandemic pushing us in the right direction to learn to support teachers.
How to make Remote Learning work for every learner! | engage2learn
July 18, 2020
The results are in for remote learning. It didn’t work This spring, educators worked around the clock to transition from onsite to remote learning.
How e2L is Ensuring Our Partners Succeed with Remote Learning | engage2learn
July 01, 2020
We will ensure the coaching timeline is aligned so that remote learning for students is engaging and teachers feel confident they have the tools they need.
Design Thinking for Educators
June 12, 2020
I got interested in Design Thinking during my graduate work at Portland State University in my late 20s. David Kelley founded IDEO in 1978..
Ending Systemic Racism. We will do more... | engage2learn
June 08, 2020
We know that education can be a key to ending systemic racism, and we promise to do our part. We will be more intentional, and would love your input.
3 Steps to Mitigate Disrupted Learning: An Actionable Plan to Start Today
May 12, 2020
While discussing the inevitable fallout for public schools from the COVID-19 pandemic, Dr. John Craft, Killeen ISD superintendent, said to me: “Here is our #1 concern right now: how do we mitigate the learning loss of this last nine weeks?... Read More
The Next 90-Day Plan for Instructional Leaders | engage2learn
May 01, 2020
Focus on These 3 Goals Public schools have done a miraculous job of reinventing school in the last few weeks. Now, the focus is turning to next year and how to plan for an uncertain 2020-21. As public school leaders... Read More
White Papers Authored by Shannon Buerk
- Best Practices Lead to Achievement: The outline of the e2L 12 Life Ready Best Practices ©, curated from the expansive research on instructional practices that impact student achievement combined with reports on the skills that today’s students need for college, career, and life readiness.
- Creating Equity by Closing the Learner Experience Gap: Pervasive gaps for students of poverty are manifested as lower academic achievement at best and in what has been termed the “school-to-prison pipeline” at worst; yet, two, urban districts work toward equity of experience to ensure mastery of Life Ready Skills.
- e2L Strategic Vision Methodology: The research base for e2L Strategic Vision methodology includes organizational culture gurus, thought leaders on strategic planning, and our own experience with over 200 districts. The methodology is grounded in backwards design, design thinking and culture-based change management.
- Fixing the Leaky Pipeline: How to Retain Teachers Through Talent Transformation: Every new hire costs districts $5,000 – $20,000. Re-allocating the lost dollars of replacement costs toward coaching and retaining teachers already in the system is a win-win.
- The Craft of Culture-Focused Leadership: 5 Levers + 3 Skills: What if the reason decades of reform, including billions of taxpayer dollars spent on professional learning, technology, resources, and programs have not created a sustainable solution is because these solutions are answers to the wrong type of problem?
Below are examples of Shannon’s keynote topics as well as the associations where she is an annual presenter.
- The Craft of Culture-Focused Leadership: Change-management through adaptive solutions in public education using the design, alignment, and application of 5 Culture Catalysts.
- The Four Futures: How to plan for and thrive in the ever-changing context while building a culture of agility.
- Education Systems Design: Design Thinking processes for developing a systemic culture shift in public school districts that pervade all departments and organizational levels through Cultural Tenets, Strategic Vision, and Learning Innovation Framework design.
- Culture of Coaching; The impact of professional coaching based upon contemporary, academic research and evidence-based data compiled from e2l’s extensive experience
- Leadership Retreats and “Think Tanks,” such as the Future Ready Superintendents Institute and executive-level coaching for superintendents, Board of Trustee members, and cabinet-level educators.
- The School Superintendents Association (AASA)
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
- Council of the Great City Schools (CGCS)
- Mexican Association of School Boards (MASBA)
- Texas Association of School Administrators / Texas Association of School Boards (TASA/TASB)
- Texas Association of Suburban/Mid-urban Schools (TAS / MUS)
- Texas Alliance of Black School Educators (TABSE)
- The Consortium for School Networking (CoSN)
- The Texas K-12 CTO Council
“The current culture exists by either default or design depending on whether the leader is intentional”